Saturday, May 11, 2013

Easy being 'green'!

I am all about green living! I do as much as I can and I involve my family as much as possible.  We compost to reduce our trash and give nutrients to the earth. We try to reuse many items like juice bottles and other containers. We recycle what we can't reuse. I keep the air at 78 (drives my husband nuts lol). I am conscious of water usage and try not to be wasteful. I also don't use any harsh chemicals for cleaning. I use vinegar and water for everything from mopping the floors, to wiping walls and windows and mirrors, to cleaning the bathroom and kitchen, too! Vinegar also dissolves sticker residue and is a great ant deterrent. Baking soda is amazing for tough jobs like the stove, toilet and bathtub. It even gets greasy fingerprints off my white kitchen cabinets. (White is the worst color for anything in the kitchen, am I right?) I no longer use bleach! This is huge to me because I have always hated bleach, the smell and the greasy residue it leaves on your hands, not to mention how harmful it is to plants, animals, and humans! I discovered I can soak my whites in the sun for a few hours in a bath of water and fresh-squeezed lemon, and then hang-dry them in the sun, and they come out amazingly white! I also use a lemon cut in half to shine my wood furniture. For dusting, I mix 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and 1/4 cup vinegar or lemon juice and wipe on with a soft cloth. Olive oil is also great for polishing stainless steel and even leather shoes! So many amazing cleaning uses for natural ingredients. Everyone should be converting to green cleaning, especially if you have kids.

I just made a great stride in green living by finally making my own laundry detergent and dishwasher soap. It was so easy! I consulted the great Google, lol. Here is the super easy recipe for powdered laundry detergent, courtesy of http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/make-your-own-laundry-soap.htm:

2 cups finely grated soap (I used 2 bars of our favorite bath soap, Dove, and a cheese grater)
1 cup washing soda (you can turn baking soda into washing soda by baking it for 30 minutes at 400 degrees)
1 cup borax

Mix well and store in an airtight plastic container.
Use 2 tablespoons per full load. Use white vinegar at start of rinse cycle.

I  washed my first load with it just this morning and I am very happy with it! My laundry smells great. I have been having a problem with mildew scented towels that no amount of washing would get rid of. The towels smell fabulous now! I already hang our clothes to dry, saving lots of money and electricity, and I feel complete now that I am using homemade soap, too.

I also made dishwasher soap from a recipe I found at http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-dishwasher-detergent-soap/:

1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
1/2 cup citric acid (couldn't find it so I decided simply squeezing a lemon into the soap dispenser should work)
1/2 cup kosher salt (I used sea salt)

Mix all ingredients and store in airtight container. Fill rinse agent compartment with white vinegar.

I used my new homemade dishwasher soap last night and my dishes are squeaky clean! I'm thrilled to have finally made another notch on my 'green belt'. Next, I would love to make a rain cistern!

What are some things you and your family do to save energy and preserve our natural resources?






No comments:

Post a Comment